Friday 6 February 2015

Guest Review - Whiplash

Whiplash
Sorry for the long absence from posting. I am back and I am bringing back my friend, Ben, to provide his latest guest review - Whiplash. It is not a 3D or IMAX movie but it is deemed a MUST WATCH movie of the year (in his own word).

Whiplash is a powerful drama written and directed by Damien Chazelle with strong casts like Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons and Mellisa Benoist. Without further ado, check out my friend, Ben's equally strong review below ;


What can I say? This is a MUST WATCH movie.

To start of, I know nothing of the movie, didn't even see the trailer. What I knew it is a movie about drummer, which is evident in the movie poster that I walked pass. This is one of the movie that I will place as low priority viewing.

How wrong I am and how glad I was to catch this masterpiece. The movie is about an aspiring drummer and his relationship with the acid-tongued sadist professor of the prestigious music academy. The starting scene wonderfully described the coming love-hate tension between the pair.


The story was top notch, with turn and twists that defied what normal movies will head. Many a time, I thought of how the story would continue and the movie proved otherwise, in an unexpected but realistic way. I was siting at the edge on a movie that's not even supposed to be a thriller, and this movie succeeded in making every turn memorable. In addition, the spitfire dialogues were witty and sharp, with the constant swearing and the F words earned this movie an R ratings. This is a pity as I think this is a movie that teenagers, who are at the start of their career and life, should watch.

The chemistry between actors Miles Teller (in some way gave me hopes for the coming Fantastic Four reboot as Teller will be the new Reed Richards) and J.K. Simmons was astonishing, full of tension and yet strangely fulfilling. Both characters were flawed and yet something we all can relate to.

Ultimately this movie ask how much we would sacrifice for our dream? How much is too much? Where is the line between abuse and inspiring to excel oneself? Is it true on what Fletcher said: There are no two words in the English language more harmful than good job?

Another part that I like the movie is that it challenged you to think of the motives of Fletcher, was he just a selfish asshole who will do anything to get his goal (to win in the competition) or was his reason as noble as he claimed?

4 1/2 out of 5 stars

p/s I find actor Miles Teller looked uncanny like the late Elvis Presley.




Cheers!   

No comments:

Post a Comment